Effective Date: October 2, 2023
This Privacy Notice describes how the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals ("Aajogo", "we", "us", or "our") collects, uses, shares, and protects your personal information. This Privacy Notice applies to any and all websites, mobile applications, and other digital products or services that link to this Privacy Notice, as well as our social media, emails, and communications with you (collectively, the "Services").
This Privacy Notice explains:
Information We Collect
How We Use Information
How We Share Information
How We Protect and Store Information
Donor Privacy Choices
General Privacy Choices
Please note this Privacy Notice does not apply to non-Aajogo websites or services that state they are offered under a different privacy notice. Please review the privacy notices on those websites and services directly to understand their privacy practices.
a. Information You Give The Aajogo.
When you interact with the Services, we may collect the following information from you:
- Contact information: This includes your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, and any other information you choose to include interact with us, such as when you make a donation, request information, or subscribe to Aajogo updates or publications.
- Account information: Depending on the type of account you create, this may include your name, email address, telephone number, physical address, Employer Identification Number, license number, occupation, and usage preferences.
- Transactional information: If you make a donation or purchase, this includes your name, email address, payment card information, and billing address.
- Customer service interactions: This includes information you provide when you engage with our customer service, including through recorded telephone calls, surveys, and email correspondence.
- Feedback information: This includes information you provide in response to questions or surveys we may send you through the Services, including for feedback and research purposes.
- Applicant information: If you apply for employment with the Aajogo, this includes your name, email address, telephone number, educational history, and employment history.
Some of this information may be collected by external parties on our behalf. For example, we use a payment processor when you make conduct a transaction through the Services. The Aajogo does not itself collect or store payment card information.
b. Information The Aajogo Learns From Your Use of the Services.
When you interact with our Services, certain information about you is automatically collected via cookies and similar technologies (referred to collectively herein as "cookies"). Cookies are small text files that are stored within your device's memory by a website. Cookies enable a website such as ours to keep track of your activities to improve user experience, advertise our Services, and ensure the security of our Services. As you use our Services, the following information is automatically collected from you:
- Usage details about your interaction with our Services, such as which pages you access, frequency of access, what you click on, search terms, date and length of visits, and referring website addresses.
- Device information, including the IP address and other details of a device that you use to connect with our Services, such as device type and unique device identifier, hardware model, operating system, browser, mobile network information, mobile carrier, and the device's telephone number.
- Location information where you choose to provide us with access to information about your device’s location.
Much of this information is collected through cookies, which may be operated by our partners who assist us in collecting information about usage of the Services, targeted advertising, or providing other services to you. While we do not share your information for monetary value with these partners, the engagement of these partners may be considered a “sale” of your information.
These partners may be able to identify your email address via cookies and combine it with other information they have access to, such as your mailing address, so we can send you information we feel may be of interest to you.
Please note we use other cookies set by other third-party partners for the above-described purposes. You may be able to opt out of tracking by cookies or control how information collected by cookies is being used via a number of means, as described in General Privacy Choices.
c. From Third Parties
- Information about the marketing and advertisements you have seen and clicked on, from online advertising companies.
- Your email address and other contact information, from third parties that share similar missions or which whom the Aajogo partners for events, projects, or goals.
The Aajogo may use your information for any of the following purposes:
- Provide our Services: Provide the requested Services to you, including to maintain your account, fulfill your purchase or donation, register you for trainings and webinars, send requested marketing materials, and evaluate grant applications.
- Communicate with you: Provide support, respond to your questions, inquiries, and other requests, and send you notifications related to your account, your transaction, or changes to the Services.
- Improve the Services: Grow the Aajogo and our mission, understand the effectiveness of our marketing, events, and other promotional campaigns, and conduct market research and statistical analysis.
- Marketing: Send you information, recommendations, and events we feel may be of interest to you, administer surveys, and tailor the content we display to you on the Services and communications, including advertising.
- Offer and maintain the Services: Monitor the performance of the Services, ensure the security of the Services, personalize your experience, and conduct analytics on your use of the Services.
- Comply with legal and regulatory obligations: Comply with legal requirements, defend against legal claims or demands, exercise our legal rights, detect, investigate, and prevent activities that may violate our policies or be fraudulent or illegal, and protect our rights and the rights of others.
- For employment purposes: Evaluate, recruit, and hire personnel.
The Aajogo may also use and share in an aggregate or de-identified manner information at our discretion, including for research, analysis, marketing, and improvement of the Services.
The Aajogo may share information as follows:
- With service providers that we believe need the information to perform a technology, business, or other professional function for us such as payment processing, IT services, maintenance and hosting of our Services, marketing, accounting, auditing, tax services, and other professional services.
- With third parties whose products, services, or offerings may be of interest to you. The Aajogo may share, rent, or sell donor contact information with third parties that we believe engage in activities that may be of interest to you. You can opt-out of this sharing by following the instructions in Donor Privacy Choices.
- When required by law and when we are legally required to do so, such as in response to or in compliance with court or regulatory agency orders, legal proceedings, or legal process, to exercise our legal rights, to defend against legal claims or demands, or to comply with the requirements of any applicable law.
- To prevent harm or if we believe it is necessary in order to detect, investigate, prevent, or take action against illegal activities, fraud, or situations involving potential threats to the rights, property, or personal safety of any person.
- As part of a business transaction with another entity or its affiliates or service providers in connection with a contemplated or actual merger, acquisition, consolidation, change of control, or sale of all or a portion of our assets, or if we undergo bankruptcy or liquidation. We cannot promise that an acquiring party or the merged entity will have the same privacy practices or treat your information the same as described in this Privacy Notice.
We use a combination of physical, technical, and administrative safeguards to protect the information we collect through the Services. In particular, our Services have industry standard encryption measures in place to protect personal information and all payment information is transmitted using Secure Socket Layer ("SSL") technology. While we use these precautions to safeguard your information, we cannot guarantee the security of the networks, systems, servers, devices, and databases we operate or that are operated on our behalf. If you use our Services outside of the United States, you understand that we may collect, process, and store your personal information in the United States and other countries.
As an Aajogo donor, you may submit a request to review the information we maintain on you and request corrections if the information is inaccurate. You may also submit a request to opt-out of your contact information (name, mailing address, email address) being sold to or shared with third parties for marketing purposes. To submit a request, please contact the Aajogo at the below email, telephone number, address.
Attention: Donor Stewardship
New York, NY 10128
To ensure we can process your request in a timely manner, please include your full name, physical address, and email address.
You may have certain choices when it comes to how we collect and use your information as follows:
- Update and view your account information: You can access your Aajogo account at any time to update and view certain information of yours in our possession and which is associated with your account, such as your email address and telephone number.
- Update your marketing preferences: If you no longer wish to receive marketing communications from us, you can click the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any email from us. If you no longer with you receive automated marketing text messages, you can opt-out by responding to any of our text messages with STOP.
- Change or view your cookie preferences:
- You can opt-out or set preferences regarding cookies as described in this section. Please note you will need to set preferences on each device you use to visit the Services.
- You can visit the Network Advertising Initiative or the Digital Advertising Alliance to learn more about your options for opting out of the use of your information by certain companies to deliver interest-based advertising.
- Your browser or device may include “Do Not Track” functionality. Because definitions and rules for a “Do Not Track” standard have not yet been established, including whether such signals must be user-enabled, we do not yet respond to “Do Not Track” signals sent from browsers.
California's "Shine the Light" law permits individuals in California to request certain details about how certain types of their information are shared with third parties for those third parties' own direct marketing purposes. If you are a California resident, you may opt-out of such sharing by emailing us at [email protected].
Colorado residents have the right to access, delete, and correct certain information we collect about them, as well as the right to opt-out of targeted advertising and the “sale” of their information. We do not use your information for profiling purposes for which the right to opt-out applies.
You or your authorized agent may submit a request to exercise your right to access, deletion, correction by email. For your security, we will require you to verify your identity before we can act on your request by providing us with information to match our records. If you are asking to exercise a right on behalf of someone else, we will require verification of your identity, as well as proof of authorization by the individual. To opt-out of targeted advertising or the sale of your information via cookies, please follow the instructions in General Privacy Choices. Donors can opt-out of the sale of their information in mailing lists as described in Donor Privacy Choices. You may appeal our decision with respect to a request you have submitted by emailing us at [email protected].
Residents of the State of Nevada have the right to opt out of the sale of certain pieces of their information to third parties who will sell or license their information to others. If you are a Nevada resident and would like to make such a request, please email [email protected].
We do not knowingly or intentionally gather personal information about children. If we have inadvertently collected the personal information of a child under 18, or equivalent minimum age depending on jurisdiction, a parent or guardian of that child may contact us at [email protected] to request that we delete the information from our records or otherwise cease the use of that information in accordance with applicable law.
We may make changes to this Privacy Notice from time to time. The “Effective Date” at the top of this page indicates when this Privacy Notice was last revised. We may also notify you in other ways from time to time about the collection, use, and disclosure of your personal information described in this Privacy Notice.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, please contact the Aajogo at:
Attention: Legal Department
424 E. 92nd Street
New York, NY 10128